Friday, September 12, 2008

1to1 Reflection

If I do become a teacher, I think I would love to have laptops in my classroom. Throughout the video, I learned that having laptops in the classroom can help the school district save money by having up to date information. I thought of this because the school district that the local school here in New Stuyahok is in does not have enough funds to support extra-curricular activities. Students and parents that are in extra curricular activities have to raise their own money to travel to other activities that are not in the district, which I think is wrong; but I do understand that. Having laptops in the classroom may help with better classroom management by having students close their laptops and they cannot use their laptops further throughout the class period. And by doing so, students will work hard on the assignment they are given to do.
Having laptops in the classroom may not meet some standards that students should have as they go through each class level. An example from the video is: students who are in the fifth grade have neater handwriting than the seniors. Computers may also be the sole source for students with personal laptops. Students will not be able to look up how words are spelled from the dictionary because microsoft word or excel will hint them that the word is mispelled.

3 comments:

skipvia said...

I like your point about using laptops as an after school resource, particularly in a situation where many families may not have access to a computer or access to the Internet. I can also envision ways in which those after school activities could turn into money-making propositions that might help support other activities. For example, let's say you were able to teach students how to design web pages. They might be able to create web sites for local businesses (or even non-local ones). The students would be learning a marketable skill and the revenue could help fund travel or other activities.

I am of two minds regarding spell checkers. I never use a dictionary to look up spelling since the computer does that more efficiently. I do use a dictionary to research etymologies and root words, so learning to use a dictionary is certainly important. But I'm not sure it's important for daily spelling.

Thanks for your observations.

Alice said...

I also like the idea of having current information for the students without having to purchase new textbooks. I had a Geography class last semester in which the book was out of date before the end of the semester. The video did point out that you do not have to use the computer for everything in every class. If the students need to work on their handwriting, just give them paper and pencil.

Jessica W said...

I like the point that students may loose some skills like being able to look up things in encyclopeidas and dictionaries. This could be remedied if the teachers make a point to spend some time in books and some on the computer. I have had classed that would require a least one or more non-electonic sourse for research projects.