Thursday, September 18, 2008

Interactive Activities

Site Name: coolmathforkids.com

Age Level: 3-12

Subject Area: Math

Platform: Mac or PC

Purpose: To help students learn math by having fun.
This site has a lot of fun activities students can do to learn math. One explanation on the site says that it is, "An amusement park of math designed for fun." This site has everything from math games to brain benders. The site also says that teachers and parents are using it to enhance their children and students math skills. One thing parents and teachers can do is to put this site and many others on their bookmark so students can go to the website without help at all.



Site Name: starfall.com

Grade Level: K-2nd

Subject Area: Reading and Writing

Platform: Mac or PC

Purpose: To help students learn to read and write and to enhance their reading skills.
This site looks like a fun way to help children learn to read. There are so many activities students can do on this site including ABC's, fun tales, art gallery, and more. When I was doing classroom observations in the Kindergarten and second grade classrooms at the local school, both teachers were using this for when their students were finished with their work early. I could tell these students were getting a lot out of this because students were reading material on the site and sounding out letters as well.



Site Name: Literacycenter.net

Grade/Age Level: Preschool up to the third grade

Subject Area: Reading

Platform: Mac and PC

Purpose: To help students learn to read.
This site is pretty interesting. There are so many activities to help students learn to read. This site was created to help students succeed in reading. Literacy center also teaches the native tongue of four languages, which is neat. There's everything from learning the lowercases to upper cases, and to writing and keyboarding. The only thing that needs to be downloaded to your computer is the flash player plug-in. If you do not have the flash player, there is a place on the site where you can automatically download this software. There is a place where teachers and parents can go to too for different subject areas and specific purposes. My aunt and her husband uses this for their daughter who is in the third grade. She is the top student in her class. They are also using this for their other daughter who is in the first grade and their son who is in Preschool.

6 comments:

Jessica W said...

I love this assignment. There are a lot of great sites out there! I am teaching preschool and both the Literacy Center and Math sites are awesome. The math site has a whole list of activities you can do with your children to help prepare them for kindergarden. The Literacy center hads some great games my girls can play, and adds to my cirriculum!

Alice said...

I like coolmathforkids.com as it has a lot of ideas to use off of the computer. They are simple things that can be done at home, work, school, travel, etc. I do not always think like that so appreciate the new ideas. I have already saved your sites on my favorites for teaching aides!

skipvia said...

LiteracyCenter.net was a new one for me. I like the site very much--there is a rich mix of activities available for everyone. Most computers will probably already have the Flash player installed, but it's nice to know that the site provides a way to easily download it if needed.

Nice reviews!

Melissa said...

Crystal, I really liked the Cool Math for kids. I showed it to my son who is in third grade and he is planning on sharing one of the tips he learned with his class at school today!
Melissa

Becca said...

I also looked at cool math for kids. It was a very busy website. I like that you can print out the various flash cards. I did notice, however, that some of the games did not have directions.

Jodi said...

I enjoyed your reviews and spent time playing math games. I almost forgot that I was suppose to be checking the site for my assignment. I also enjoyed the literacy center. I wish this stuff was available when my daughters were young, but I didn't even have a computer then. I will definitely be sharing these sites with them so my daughters can use these sites with my grandkids. My granddaughter Gabby will love it. She already loves learning at two and wants to go to school.