Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Rural Alaska

I love living in rural Alaska. Everyone knows everyone and we pretty much have the freedom to go out where-ever whenever. If I ever have to move to the city for my education, I don't think my husband or I can handle it. I mean, I love to move to have more class options or to have an instructor in front of me and to guide me through class, but it is hard to move away from home. In rural Alaska we hunt and gather throughout the year which is a lot of fun. We can travel to other villages by snow machine or boat (skiff is what we call small boats). We also get to support high school activities as well. Every teacher I know at the local school fall in love with New Stuyahok because there is a lot going on here that is interesting. It is also hard for teachers to leave if/when they have to. I know if I were one of those teachers I would fall in love with this place too.

2 comments:

skipvia said...

I did a little research on New Stuyahok at the beginning of the semester when you enrolled in the class. I can see why you love it so much. I was impressed by the community facilities available--and of course the natural beauty of the area.

I'm interested in your comments about potentially having to move for your education. Distance delivery of education is a very difficult problem for us. The technology is there--we have excellent videoconferencing facilities, and desktop video is getting better and better--but the lack of bandwidth to rural sites makes it virtually impossible to use any of these technologies effectively. This is a statewide issue and I hope that Alaska will address this need soon.

JessieD329 said...

You know so much of the shortcomings of rural technology, Skip. Keep talking with higher ups, maybe they'll address these issues. Crystal, I love your post you sound like you enjoy life. It is always nice when our new teachers like where they are. I've had some students from New Stu over the years.